2017 - 2018 NYIC VISTA Host Application
Due Date: January 31, 2017 at 5pm EST
How to Apply: Click here to access the fillable PDF application. Download, fill out and sign the application, and then submit it to Membership and Capacity Building Manager Kiwi Grady at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn More: To learn more information about the NYIC VISTA program and host site selection process, please click on the hyperlinked topics below or scroll down this webpage with your cursor. If you have any questions, please contact Membership and Capacity Manager Kiwi Grady at email@example.com or (212) 627-2227, ext 245.
- Overview of the NYIC VISTA program
- Cost of hosting a NYIC VISTA
- Criteria for hosting a NYIC VISTA
- Upcoming info sessions on the NYIC VISTA Host Site Application
1. OVERVIEW OF THE NYIC VISTA PROGRAM
NYIC VISTAs are AmeriCorps VISTAs who - through the New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) - engage in full-time paraprofessional service for a year at a host organization, where they work on capacity-building projects in support of the host's immigrant-focused anti-poverty programs/services.
Capacity-building projects that NYIC VISTAs can work on include:
- community outreach (e.g., coalition building, community education);
- program development;
- and volunteer management.
NYIC VISTAs are not allowed to:
- provide direct services to community members;
- or engage in advocacy actions/events.
NYIC VISTAs receive the following benefits from the NYIC and/or the Corporation for National and Community (CNCS):
- AmeriCorps VISTA Pre-Service Orientation;
- 3-day NYIC VISTA training;
- monthly NYIC VISTA professional development/networking webinars;
- ongoing training around community outreach (e.g., coalition building);
- monthly check-ins with NYIC staff;
- networking opportunities with other NYIC VISTAs;
- living allowance (stipend);
- healthcare allowance;
- the option of an end-of-year cash stipend or education award;
- 10 vacation days, 10 medical days and 5 emergency days;
- and much more!
The NYIC supports organizations that are hosting NYIC VISTAs with:
- recruiting NYIC VISTAs for service (host sites will be given an opportunity to interview and approve NYIC VISTAs prior to their placement);
- orientation for hosting/supervising a NYIC VISTA;
- ongoing NYIC staff support and resources.
It is anticipated that most 2017 - 2018 NYIC VISTAs will serve between August 2017 and August 2018.
Organizations who host NYIC VISTAs pay a host site fee to the NYIC. The fee is determined by the host site's annual budget.
|Organization's Annual Budget||Host Site Fee|
|$500,000 or higher||$10,000|
Organizations with very low financial resources can contact Membership and Capacity Manager Kiwi Grady at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about the availability of scholarships to help pay for the host site fee.
Host sites are also expected to pay for any service-related travel (noncommuting) that they ask their NYIC VISTA to undertake.
Organizations that are applying to host a NYIC VISTA must:
- apply for/renew NYIC Membership for 2017 by 1/31/2017 and be approved for 2017 NYIC Membership by March 2017;
- have 501(c)3 nonprofit status;
- be based in New York State;
- have the capacity to engage a NYIC VISTA in capacity-building projects in support of immigrant anti-poverty programs/services;
- be able to provide a NYIC VISTA with a direct staff supervisor and a standard office work station;
- be able to support their NYIC VISTA in submitting monthly reports to the NYIC.
All NYIC VISTA Host applications will be primarily assessed on the following criteria:
- applicant has renewed/applied for NYIC Membership for 2017 by January 31, 2017, and is approved for 2017 NYIC Membership by March 1, 2017;
- applicant has adequately described how the NYIC VISTA's work on community outreach, communications, fundraising, program development and/or volunteer management projects can support the organization in developing capacity around immigrant anti-poverty programs/services;
- applicant has created a plan to ensure that the capacity built by a NYIC VISTA is sustainable past the NYIC VISTA's term of service;
- applicant has identified how it can support a NYIC VISTA in having a positive, productive and educational experience at its office;
- applicant has created attainable performance measures for a NYIC VISTA's work on capacity building and for the anti-poverty programs/services that the capacity building work would support.
The following factors will also be considered during the decision-making process in an attempt to place many of the NYIC VISTAs at organizations serving underserved regions and immigrant communities within New York State.
- Geographic areas served
- Immigrant communities served
All proposals to host a NYIC AmeriCorps VISTA will be evaluated by a committee comprised of NYIC staff, AmeriCorps members, Board Members and Member organization representatives. The NYIC will issue preliminary decisions on proposals by early March. Final decisions will be made by CNCS and will be communicated out by the NYIC in April.
Organizations interested in applying for a NYIC VISTA are strongly encouraged to participate in a NYIC VISTA Host Site Application Info Session during January. These sesssions will go over the NYIC VISTA program and the 2017 NYIC VISTA Host application.
INFO SESSION SCHEDULE:
- Thursday, January 12 @ noon
- Thursday, January 12 @ 4pm
- Tuesday, January 17 @ 2pm
- Tuesday, January 17 @ 7pm
- Friday, January 20 @ 10am
- Friday, January 20 @ 1pm
- Wednesday, January 25 @ noon
- Wednesday, January 25 @ 4pm
|View PDF File||Size|
|2017-2018 VISTA Host Application.pdf||576.48 KB|